Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Odds & Ends & Knicks & Knacks

My first political opinion was expressed thusly: "I hate Watergate." See I was a preschooler at the time and Watergate coverage just dragged on and on, interrupting all the "good stuff" on TV. Although I'm glad when political wrongdoing is exposed and punished, I haven't managed to work up much retroactive interest. My reaction to Felt's revelation that he was Deep Throat was, "Ah. Now we know." I suppose it, as others have noted, gives MSM a chance to relive glory days, when they could see themselves as noble defenders of freedom, rather than DNC shills with some credibility problems. I found this article, "Did the Press Uncover Watergate?" , mildly interesting, though.

***

Re that "good stuff" on TV: I haven't had TV for over a year and I don't miss it. Uncle Pookie and I use the TV as a DVD player. Maybe I'll post later about why I don't watch TV anymore.

***

The Archbishop of Los Angeles has rather a silly opinion piece in today's LA Times. It has the usual muddling of "immigrant" and "illegal alien" and the determination not to call amnesty amnesty. He claims to see a "growing hysteria" against immigrants and a fashion for blaming them for our social and economic problems that I have not seen. (Maybe it's only to be found in California?) At least he concedes that "[t]he war on terrorism has made national security a legitimate concern" and that the country has a right to control its borders. I have to wonder what blue collar people in his archdiocese think of this article. Or anyone who's had a relative murdered by terrorists.
http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/commentary/la-oe-mahony1jun01,0,3402540.story

***

I've just found BBC7 online. I've already listened to several programs and I think they could become my new preferred internet listening. EWTN still has a place in my heart though--both the radio and its archived programs.

***

In Drudge's headlines today, we had a UK couple celebrating their 80th wedding party and a "leading expert" saying that obesity must be treated as a disease. Am I the only one thinking back to The Onion's hilarious article last summer about how scientists still haven't found a cure for obesity? It featured sad stories of people who'd "caught obesity" after their marriage and how they sat on the couch day after day, watching TV in hopes of hearing that scientists had found a cure for their disease. Unfortunately I can't link to it, because the Onion's archives (past four weeks excepted) are now subscriber only.

And good for that long-married couple. Stable marriages are good for the society, good for offspring, and good for the partners involved. I may find romantic claptrap disgusting and my response to most marriages is a bewildered questioning of what each sees in the other, but I believe in marriage and think we should celebrate long-lasting ones.

***

Sunday was the Feast of Corpus Christi. Seeing the Yahoo! News images of Corpus Christi celebrations in Spain and Venezuela and remembering a Crisis magazine article on village plays celebrating Corpus Christi made me wish for a moment that I lived in a Catholic culture. An actual Catholic culture, with popular traditions that had built up around the faith that informed all of life, both the big events and the everyday things. Or even a culture that had once been Catholic and was still hanging on to the more festive religious traditions.

But I live in a secular culture where the Super Bowl is more important than any kind of religious celebration (unless you count that secular orgy of getting and spending still known--at least in the less PC areas--as Christmas among religious celebrations). I have to be content that I'm in a parish that has Eucharistic adoration instead of nuns-in-name-only doing liturgical dance.

1 comment:

Maureen Martin said...

Hey,

I'm an INFP. I just read your profile. Apparently, we are both pretty rare. *g*

God bless, Maureen Martin