Thursday, April 27, 2006

A Few More Things I've Never Understood

I've already mentioned anti-Semitism, cake mixes, and people who think Shakespeare is too hard to understand and also insist on using nothing but the King James Version of the Bible. Here's some more.


* The attaching of guilt to food--for example, "guiltfree menus" at restaurants or "eat all you want without guilt" advertisements. This doesn't make any sense to me. The only way I would ever feel guilty eating something would be if I were to eat something that belonged to someone else.


* Women who get angry if their husband or boyfriend doesn't give them a present on their birthday/Valentine's Day/Mother's Day/whatever--or worse, get angry if he doesn't give a good enough gift; or worse still (and I've only known one or two women this bad), get angry if he doesn't send the Valentine's gift to their workplace so their coworkers know they got a gift. What are these women, queens demanding tribute? I'm all for men treating their wives like queens, but gifts should be graciously accepted as gifts, not angrily demanded as your due. And in the case of the women who want their Valentine's booty in public, rather than private--how shallow can a person become without drying up completely?


* Women who trash their husbands to other women. Not only is it disrespectful and makes them look bad, but I'll bet they'd have a fit if they heard their husbands criticizing them to other people. Do unto others as you'd have them do unto you applies in marriage at least as much as anywhere else.


* People who date, live with, or marry people they don't trust. Especially marry. I wouldn't want to sleep in the same house with a man I didn't trust, much less tie my economic future to him.


* People who say "I hate water". That's like saying "I hate air".

No comments: