Thursday, December 18, 2008

One Conversion Story For You

I enjoy reading and hearing the stories of people's conversion to the Catholic Church, and I have enjoyed it since before I became a Catholic myself. It is nice, in a world filled with pop culture trivialities, to turn on the TV or radio and hear someone talking about how he wrestled with some of life's deeper meanings and came to a place where he had to make a decision and he made it. You can find these sorts of stories on EWTN, especially their Journey Home program (check their audio archive library for back episodes), some websites like Catholic Answers, and even books. Maybe this enjoyment might seem a little odd since I never liked the "testimony giving" at the Baptist churches I had to attend as a young person--it, like all of churchgoing then, was tedious to me and I cynically noted that all of these testimonies seemed to hinge on the person realizing he would die and being afraid of that. Adolescents can be harsh in their assessment of others, and I think it's glaringly obvious I was not above that. But in a (partial) defense of myself, I truly can not remember anyone ever giving a reason for why they were where they were. Anyway. Here's a conversion story I stumbled across by accident, read, and thought others might like to read: "From Church of Christ to Christ's Church."

No comments: