Friday, March 04, 2005

A Breath of Air, by Rumer Godden

I should probably refrain from commenting until I've finished it, but this book was a pleasant surprise. I found it in a thrift store and picked it up, knowing nothing about the book, only that I've liked everything else I've read by Rumer Godden. (The Dolls' House, The Kitchen Madonna, In This House of Brede.) It turned out to be a modern re-telling of The Tempest, and surely better than most modern retellings. Not (so far anyway) fantasy or, worse, psychology or, infinitely worse, a PC screed with Caliban as the hero. I used to participate in some online Shakespeare discusssions that kept loose track of Shakespeare re-tellings, adaptations, etc. in modern films and novels, but I don't recall this book ever being mentioned. It was published in 1950, but according to Amazon it is still in print.

No comments: