Monday, December 12, 2005

Random Thoughts

***

Considering her problem with water, the Wicked Witch of the West must have smelled worse than her flying monkeys.

***

I was in the dollar store recently and saw one of those children's illustrated classics versions of, get this, George Bernard Shaw's Pygmalion. Now I actually did read Pygmalion as a child, but I'll be the first to admit I was not the most normal kid on on the block. It's not a children's play.

***

Squirrels might seem less cute to us if we called them tree rats.

***

People say the sense of wonder diminishes with adulthood, but between going into the living room and wondering what I went in there for and leaving the kitchen and wondering if I remembered to turn off the stove, I'm more full of wonder than ever....Okay, that's so corny I should apologize. I'm sorry. It's still true though.

***

It's probably easier and less distracting for childless women in their thirties to go to Unitarian, ultra-liberal Episcopalian, or other churches where the birth rate is likely to be a bit low, than to go to "conservative" Catholic or evangelical Protestant churches.

***

I'd be willing to bet a few dollars that none of the celebrities saying Tookie Williams shouldn't be put to death because he has supposedly redeemed himself and is all about peace nowadays would want the man living next door to them or babysitting their children.

***

Why is it easy--relatively easy--to get up early to go to work or to school or on a trip, but so incredibly hard to get up early to exercise?

***

The funny, talented Richard Pryor has died. Since Richard Pryor's enjoyment of his last years was (I assume) diminished by his multiple sclerosis, it seems sad that he missed so much of his time in the preceding years due to being high. But then it's sad that many of our most creative people are unhappy enough to want to spend much of their non-working time high or drunk or otherwise pursuing self-destruction. I wish I knew why so many creative people are unhappy.

***

No comments: