Wednesday, December 15, 2004

No choice for doctors?

I used to be pro-choice, and I always emphasized the choice: "I believe the choice must lie with the individual woman," I always used to say. "No woman should ever be forced to have an abortion and no woman should ever be forced to have a child." But I also believed in choice for others. If doctors believed abortion was wrong, why should they have to perform them? It worried me a little that there might come a time when there weren't enough doctors trained in the procedure or willing to perform it, but certainly we could not force them to do it against their will. Well, if some "pro-choice" people had their way, we would. And force nurses and other health care workers to assist. For people who would advocate this, it is no longer about choice. It is about pushing their own views on others.

No comments: